Sunday, April 15, 2012

Betsy

So, this is my Vintage Contest entry.  As usual Michelle-style, I waited until the last possible minute to get it finished.  I was hand sewing the hem in at five o'clock today!  I did get it finished and I did get the pictures done and submission entered. This was my first Pattern Review contest and I thought it was pretty fun.  It was also my first pattern review!

me and the munchkin
Cost:
Pattern: $2 (thrift store in Reno)
Fabric: I used less than half the sheet $1
notions: already had on hand
total: $3 - this is a pretty cute shirt for three bucks :)



So, I made a vintage shirt out of a bed sheet.  It's not ground breaking.  I didn't do anything new and exciting to it, but I love it.

First let me tell you the pattern, it's Butterick 5285 from the 1960's.  I chose this one because it was my very first vintage make and I didn't want anything crazy to grade or anything like that.  So, I chose this and originally I planned on making it out of a blue and white chiffon type fabric.  Obviously that didn't work out.  The fabric was too lightweight and it was crap-tastic fabric.  No real loss there.  So, I went with a vintage bed sheet found at a thrift store in Reno.  It broke my heart to cut into this sheet.  Why?  Because I can't find sheets like this around here!  I have NEVER, EVER seen a sheet like this in Alameda!  Trust me, I have looked repeatedly for years and nope, no luck.  I found two sheets like this in Reno and I did let out a little triumphant squeal when I found it, but who cares?  I will never see those people who looked at me like I was crazy!  or the people who quickly guided their little ones away from the "crazy in the linens".

Anyways, I cut into the sheet <tear> and I made this shirt.  I love this shirt, I wish I had a slightly lighter weight fabric, but this was what I had on hand, so this is what I used.  I added extra width to the belly area (surprise, surprise) and used the rest as is.  The armholes were waaaaaay too small and I ended up having to shave off two inches from the bottom of the armholes, making the armhole facing obsolete.  Now, it would have been easy to just make a new facing.  But, I hate facings, so I decided to just use some bias tape like in the Sorbetto top.  It took a little bit of time, but I like it better than floppy facings (alliteration alert!).

The drawstring for the shirt was really poorly drafted.  You have this huge neckline and this dinky little drawstring.  It's slightly bigger than 12 inches.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.  Not wanting to cut into the bed sheet any further, I decided to use some twill tape that I had on hand.  I picked up a roll of this stuff for $15 from my favorite fabric store in San Francisco.  There are 144 yards of 3/8 twill tape on this sucker.  Very good deal!

Twill tape bow!
What I learned:
The only thing I had playing over and over and over again in my head was J. Walter Weatherman saying, "and that's why you always make a muslin"  Extra points to those who know what the heck I'm talking about.

Will I make again?
"Broccoli!"
Yes, I would love to make this again!  I really do love this shirt and would like to try it in a lightweight cotton.  Also, with my little belly, I like boxy tops or tops that don't "hug" my middle with my jeans.  As of yesterday, I only had one shirt to wear with my jeans!!  As of tonight, I have two to wear with my jeans.  Hooray!





Instead of saying, "Cheese!" when you get your picture taken, my family like to say "Broccoli!" because my daughter's favorite food is broccoli (seriously, I'm not joking...)  So, this is me saying, "Broccoli!"

1 comment: