Sunday, August 23, 2015

Deja Vu

 Ok Guys, today I have something completely new and something you have never seen before!  Oh wait...yeah, I remade a pattern with the same exact fabric as last time.
 
 Ok, so my pink sweater is not only super dingy now, it also has a giant rip on the boob part for some reason.  I had plans to wear the exact same sweater for the pictures, but nope, there is a giant hole in it...and it was my favorite sweater.  But, now I wont feel bad when I cut it apart and to make a pattern out of it. 

Okay, so I went to school for photography and I really toyed with self portraits for my art.  Now, the blog pictures are usually done by my husband.  I love my husband so much, but he is very detail oriented.  So, when I ask him to take pictures of the back of my makes, it takes FOREVER!  He tries to get me to do poses and things like that.  I get so irritated...I mean seriously, I just need a quick picture of the back.  So, today I was extra...ummmm...impatient and I obnoxiously was telling him how it needs to be quick-quick and he snapped a couple perfectly fine pictures, but I chose the one where I am obnoxiously snapping at him lol!  Plus it looks like I am dancing!
So, this dress is made differently than the first one.  For starters, look at the print matching on the front skirt and I made sure to center the hearts on the front bodice.  I ended up having very little fabric left to match the side seams, but that's okay...the front looks nice.  I also didn't seam every single seam like last time.  The shoulder seams and side bodice seams are finished with turned under finis  I serged the skirt seams and the edges of the facings.  I also discovered a great way to finish off the waistline. I opened out the facing and pinned the skirt on and folded the facing back over.  So, basically you have the skirt sandwiched between the facing and bodice piece.  I didn't know if it would work out so I didn't take pictures of it.  I do plan on making it again, so I will have to take a picture of what the heck I mean lol. 



 The other change I made was eliminating the cap sleeves.  Honestly, my other dress had these minimal little cap sleeves after all of my fitting there wasn't any left.  I always wear cardigans (as you can tell by my farmer's tan!) and when I wore cardigans with my last dress, it almost looked like I was wearing shoulder pads.  So, this time, I just used my french curve to trim that section off.  I like the way it sits on my shoulders much better this time.  Instead of drafting new facings for the armholes, I decided just to finish off the armholes with bias tape!  I made it myself (obviously) and I HATE ironing bias tape, so it is more like a Hong Kong Finish instead of a true bias tape finish, but it is pretty similar.

One thing I did NOT change was the dart placement.  So, I had said I wanted to shorten the darts by an inch and for some insane reason, I thought I had already done that on the pattern, but nope.  Oh well, next time I really will have to do that.  I also need to shorten the pattern by 2 inches because I didn't do that and it was a little stressful trying to fit everything on my fabric. 
So, another thing I did differently was I actually understitched my facings.  So, without the topstitching, the neckline doesn't pucker and it actually sits nice.  Side note: I actually wore this dress to a family reunion yesterday and I got a pretty bad sunburn!  This is WITH sunblock.  My face and legs didn't burn for some reason, but yeah, that's why I am like a tomato and my dress is wrinkly!


So, why did I make an exact copy of a dress?  Well, it was because I knew I would learn a lot by doing it and I did it purely for science reasons.   I didn't accidentally put a red lipstick in my pocket and then wash and dry my dress.  What?  I would never.  

........


But, seriously, it looked like I murdered someone.  I tried saving it and it didn't work so I tossed it.  When my husband came home that night, I told him about the tragedy and he was actually upset.  So, anyone who has made this dress in fabric that wrinkles will agree with me when I say that this dress is a BEAST to iron!  And anyone in my family can tell you how much I HATE ironing and also I am pretty bad at it.  So, my husband offered to iron my dress for me every time I washed it ( I know, he is amazing and no, I can't loan him out) and he spent A LOT of time with my older dress.  He looked like he lost a member of the family.  I told him I could make it again in leopard print, I have some in my stash, but no...he wanted it in the same fabric.  Unfortunately the fabric store where I bought it from ran out long ago.  So, I was browsing Denver Fabrics, and I found it!  So, I bought 3 yards of it (and some sweater knit) and when it came in, I showed him and I have NEVER seen him so happy about a fabric purchase!  So, when the family reunion invite came, I knew I would have to remake this dress for that occasion.  He was pretty happy about the dress being done and I love to wear it because I know it makes him happy.

Except that when it came to picture taking, he wanted everything to be perfect and it took forever....I love how I sing his praises and then complain.

I love you Devin!  I made this dress just for you!  Thank you for ironing my clothes, taking my pictures, and putting up with my impatience! 

No comments:

Post a Comment