Saturday, September 29, 2012

Colette Launch Party


Yes, I am posting this really late!  But, I attended the colette fall patterns launch party last weekend!  It was pretty amazing.  When I first found out about it, I was sad, because I kinda sorta had a wedding to go to that day.  So, I asked my husband if I could go to the launch party in L.A. and he was really confused.  He asked me what was so important about travelling that distance.  There was a slight pause and I said, "I don't understand the question..."

Which is most definitely true.  I still don't understand why he can't see the awesomeness of it.  So, anyways, he ended up telling me that I should stay home and not go to the wedding.  I live in Alameda which is right outside of Oakland, so it was technically more economical for me to stay and go to the one in Oakland.  Which, I got really lucky, because Erin posted on her blog that she wanted to do a blogger meet up before the party, so I decided to go to that!  It was pretty awesome to meet her.  Not only is she really sweet, it also turns out that we grew up in the same town, I graduated with her sister, and we knew some of the same people!  Crazy!  Anyways, I also met Sarai while I was at the meetup and she was really sweet as well!  I'm not going to lie, I was nervous about going and talking to people who are legally able to drive.  I don't know if you guys know this but, I am super, super shy.

Once at the party I got to meet two other stay at home moms and we had an interesting conversation about babies and birth stories.  It was kind of cool to talk to moms and have the oldest kid.  Anyways, I also got to meet Meg from Made by Meg.  I had seen her earlier, but I have a bad memory for faces and it wasn't until after I saw her name tag when it finally clicked.  And, what do you know, she is also sweet!  It was a lot of fun talking with everyone and I had a blast!

Anyways, if you give me ANY reason to make a dress, I will make one!  So, I decided to make the Colette Crepe dress and wear it to the party.  I had seen this fabric at my favorite fabric store in San Francisco, fabric outlet.  I bought like 4 yards and the person at the cutting table kept asking me if I was sure I wanted that much.  I was a little worried that it would be a little too sweet with the hearts and the style of the dress.  So, instead of toning it down, I chose the sweetheart neckline and I plan on putting lace at the hem.  I guess I like sweet, cutesy clothes!  Also, I swear the next thing I make will NOT be blue!  I didn't realize that I make so many blue clothes.  I guess that it's a good thing I blog.

Anyways!  I didn't make too many adjustments when I cut out my muslin, but after I tried it on, I followed Gertie's sewalong to pinch/tuck the excess fabric out of the bodice.  It was super easy.  The muslin took like an hour (including cutting) and the dress took maybe 2-3 hours to sew up (not including the cutting).  However, the hem took FOREVER!  I was really not liking the copious amount of fabric on the skirt and thought it might overwhelm me.  But, I actually really like the amount of fabric in the skirt.  But, when I laid out the skirt on my queen sized bed, the skirt seriously went from one end to the other!  I watched Jaws while I was pressing up the hem and it took half the movie to press the hem up and then took about 10 minutes to sew the hem!

Anyways, I LOVE this dress!  It was super easy to put together and it required minimal fitting.  It did take a lot of fabric, but it is worth it!  I love this dress and I will most definitely make it again!

I bet you guys thought I forgot about the Pattern Pyramid Giveawy!  Nope!  I just have a surprise for you guys!  I will *hopefully* (technology Gods willing) be posting that tomorrow or Monday!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, cool. It sounds like you made the right decision - go to the launch party over a wedding! I love the dress and it looks fabulous on you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have just discovered Colette patterns and have fallen in love. I can't wait to order one. Love the dress on you, it looks just darling:)

    ReplyDelete