Monday, December 10, 2012

Gertie's Shirtwaist Dress!!

I made my first project from Gertie's book!  I am so excited about this dress!  As I am sure that you guys know, I am a stay at home mom and I live in pajamas and knit dresses.  This dress, though it so comfy, thanks to the shirring in the back of the dress! 

I am seriously in love with this dress and am planning to make a lot more!  Which brings me to a question for you guys.  I am thinking about hosting a sew along in February.  Let me know if you guys are interested.

I didn't actually have to make too many changes.  I lengthened the back yoke a half inch.  I also rotated the bust dart a little bit.  The waist dart was moved 5/8" to the center.  I was supposed to shorten the waist dart by an inch, but I forgot to do that.  I also took four and a half inches off the hem!  Yeah, I am super short!!

I wore this to my daughter's dance recital, which was two hours long.  The dress was super comfortable the entire time.  It felt like I was wearing pajamas, but I looked all put together.  Speaking of which, did you guys notice my glasses?  Yeah, I have to wear glasses now.  It's funny because I didn't realize who freakin blind I was until I got glasses. 

shirring! 
ugh...believe it or not, this was one of the best!  Ignore the face!!

3 comments:

  1. Very pretty, both the dress and the glasses. I'd be interested in a sew along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute! And yep, count me in for a sewalong, too! Hmm, I wonder if I can alter the skirt any to make it more spinny for dancing...

    ReplyDelete